Friday, August 27, 2010

I've Found Where My Soul Lives!

I am finally here!!!!!


After what one of the girls I travelled with says, is a hurry and wait sort of day, I'm finally nestled into my room in the Carriage House of Harlaxton College in Grantham, England!! (My room is the window farthest to the right on the top floor)

The Carriage House
The day started at 8 am in Kenosha, WI, paused at 3 pm in Chicago at O'Hare airport where I flew through baggage and security with a breeze only to wait until my flight left at 6 pm. Here, I flew on a Virgin Atlantic Flight for about seven and a half hours. I was next to two great girls on my left, one from Indiana and the other from Kansas. (Both studying here) and a girl named Lindsey from UWEC to my right! During the flight they fed us a hot dinner and a breakfast, entertained us with movies that were set into the back of the headrest of the seat in front me. ( I watched The Bounty Hunter and part of How To Tame Your Dragon) On the same screen, you could also play games, watch TV shows, and even see where the plane was going to get to London! We got pretty close to Iceland, Dad!

I tried to sleep a little bit, but economy class isn't suitible for comfortable sleeping unless you're a child, and you can curl up in the chair, or you have something/one to lean against. Seeing as I had neither....I didn't sleep much. Then, when I landed, I started an entire day over again; it was about 8 in the morning in London. Again, went through baggage and customs with ease. Then was the antangonizing three hour bus ride to the manor. Yeah. I slept then. I was awoken by the driver saying, "Alright ladies and gents, to the left is your first sighting of Harlaxton Manor....and some cows...and some sheep." as we saw off in the distance, my home for the next four months, with a lovely sheep and diary farm passing us. It was a great thing to wake up to!


Tower that holds spiral stairs
The right side of the manor. Taken from the vast grounds around the place.(where there are white windows, is a massive indoor garden, with coy fish pond and glass roof!)
This post is getting long, so I'll some up the rest of the day by saying that I got settled in, explored ( I found a secrest door that led to a spiral stair case that goes to every floor of the manor,) ate, took about 100 pictures, and am now at my desk. I wish all of you could be here to see this! I seriously feel like I should be in floor length, empire waisted, gowns and riding a horse everywhere!! Yeah, it's that real!

Alright, I'm off to the WC(water closet aka the loo aka the bathroom) to shower and get ready for bed. Breakfast is at 8:30 tomorrow. 2:30 am your time!


Sleep well and I'll post more pics soon!

p.s. the exterior of the manor as well as a few rooms were used in the film, The Haunting(1999)
Harlaxton Manor

2 comments:

  1. Alicia, it's beyond my wildest dreams for you! And to know that you will be going to Ireland, too. You might run into some distant relatives there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Leash, this looks like your paradise!

    ReplyDelete